If you’ve found yourself spending more time in the kitchen lately — whether that’s to adapt your favorite childhood recipes from home or heat up some mac ‘n’ cheese in the microwave (hey, we don’t judge!) — you might be feeling inspired to give your kitchen a little bit of a refresh.
From fresh paint to funny dish towels, here are some of our best tips for how to decorate your kitchen and make it fun!
Start with a clean slate by decluttering what you can.
You’ve probably heard that old saying “a cluttered home makes a cluttered mind,” and that’s unfortunately kinda true. Even The New York Times has reported on the relationship between clutter and cortisol. So, how do you take care of clutter in your kitchen? Start with the little things.
- If you have duplicate jars of the same spices, combine them to save space. You can even use reusable glass jars for a clean, consistent look.
- Use shelving to your advantage; adding some extra levels in your cabinets can help you avoid stacking your plates all on top of each other.
- Store upwards to make the most of limited space. Hang a magnetic wall bar to store your knives, and use tiered baskets for bananas and other fruits.
Add some bold color with a fresh coat of paint on the walls or cabinets.
Paint is an easy way to add an instant pop of color to your kitchen! You can really show off your own unique style with your wall color; pick a perky red or lime green for a bright burst of personality or a rich blue or warm taupe for some serenity. You can also get creative by painting your actual cabinets and shelves.
If you’re renting and limited with how much you can change up your space, consider creating an accent wall with some strategically placed reusable wallpaper. You can add visual interest to your shelves with bright, patterned shelf liners. Even better is that you can bring both your wallpaper and your liners wherever life takes you next!
Brighten up the space with light and greenery.
Light can have a big impact on your space, and adding more can help liven it up.! If you need to replace some overhead bulbs, now’s definitely the time to go for it. Pick cool white lights (instead of warm tones) to make it feel much brighter. You can also place strip lights under your kitchen cabinets to add some sparkle and to be able to see what you’re doing better!
Not only do indoor plants help to freshen up a room, but they can also have a positive impact on the air quality in your home! Hang some air plants or pot a couple succulents along the windowsill for a healthy dose of greenery in your kitchen.
Add some comedy with funny kitchen accessories, like pictures and towels and even salt and pepper shakers.
It’s all in the details; make a big impact by thinking small! Your kitchen accessories are where you can really have a lot of fun with your decor. Get as creative as you’d like. It’s your space, after all!
- While it’s nice to have prints of fresh herbs hanging on your walls or a light up “EAT” sign, if this more traditional kitchen style doesn’t match your personality, why not opt for cheerful pictures that make you smile?
- Oven mitts are functional, sure, but they can be so much fun, too! Store your funny oven mitts somewhere everyone can see.
- Make a statement with creative takes on classic salt and pepper shakers> Consider ones shaped like two peas in a pod or eggs and toast.
- Offer an unexpected surprise by replacing the stuffy old pulls on your cabinets with ones that have more character.
- Hang funny dish towels somewhere prominent to get a laugh from your guests, or to chuckle to yourself after a hard day!
The little touches that you add to your space can make your house feel so much more like your home. After all, you’re the one who has to be there — why not make your kitchen somewhere you’d love to spend your time?
The Gift of Time
The coronavirus pandemic has thrown all our lives a curveball, but one silver lining for many of us is that we’ve been able to spend more time at home. Whether it’s cleaning out the garage, power washing the house or redecorating the kitchen to make it fun, a lot of us have been given the gift of finally being able to tackle the projects we’d been planning on starting for years.Shop Now!