How to Wear Boots with Socks
Once exclusively for winter, boots are now a staple of the year-round wardrobe, which means we’ve got to think of 12 months of ways to style them! The socks beneath our boots play a surprisingly large part in how they look and feel throughout the year, so we recommend starting there when you’re strategizing your footwear plan. From fun knee high socks with tall boots to no-show ankle socks rocked with booties, it’s easy to create the perfect boot-and-sock pairing once you know how!
the benefits of socks and boots working together
The combination of socks and boots is a style trend at the forefront of fashion, but there are plenty of reasons to embrace the style aside from looking great! Quality socks will wick away moisture and help keep you comfortable and odorless, and they will prevent any blistering or calluses, especially if you’re rocking a pair of boots that haven’t been broken in yet!
what socks are the best with boots?
Socks have a major impact on your outfit; they can set the tone and drastically alter the silhouette of your look. Once you understand the concepts mentioned below, you won’t just know how to pair your socks and boots, but what socks to wear with sneakers, hightops or any other pair of shoes!
- short socks: Perfect for bare legs or for more formal outfits, as well as with shoes or boots you might otherwise slip into with no socks at all, these short sock styles are noninvasive and will save your feet from blisters and odors!
- crew socks: Crew socks are extremely versatile and can go from a relaxed and stylish staple to a fun peek-a-boo of color or pattern depending on how big the gap is between your boots and pants.
- knee high socks: Fun, sleek and expressive, knee high socks can be a killer combination with the right boots. Knee highs look great when folded over or scrunched down to meet up with medium height boots.
Check Out Our Fun Knee High Socks
- cotton: Cotton can be found in varying thickness levels, and it is generally a great choice when you’re looking for a soft, breathable, everyday sock that will fit into any footwear.
- bamboo: Not only are bamboo socks affordable and easily paired with most forms of footwear, but they breathe well, are naturally antimicrobial and last longer than most materials with less fading.
how to pair socks and boots best
Whether you’re looking to create a sleek summer style or a favorite fall fashion, it’s important to note what you’re going for when you piece together your ensemble. Once you’ve established what you want from your look, it becomes easier to achieve this and focus on the socks and boots themselves without getting lost.
style details to consider
- colors: A pop of color from your socks will add interest and intrigue to any outfit, whereas neutral colors will subtly complement and work with any other colors you’re already wearing.
- textures: Chunky, fluffy or knit socks have noticeable textures that can amplify and define an outfit when done right — just make sure to treat textures like patterns and avoid using too many at once!
- shapes: Your socks have a major impact on your ensemble’s overall shape and tone. From thin crew socks that look sleek to tall chunky knit socks that look adorable, it’s all about what you want to express.
- skirts and dresses: Chunky socks with a skirt-based outfit can be an extremely warm, playful and fashion-forward detail. If you’re going for a more sophisticated look, wearing boots with socks and tights all in the same color could be the key — especially when done in black.
- pants: Crew-style socks can show off your boot and complement your hemline beautifully. Wearing cuffed pants with fun crew socks for a glimpse of pattern that will peek-a-boo out from the top of your boots is a look to embrace!
- jeans: For a classic look that will never go out of style, consider pairing tall socks with jeans and a tall leather or suede boot. Don’t be afraid to give them a fold for a classic cuff that will amplify the look! Bonus points here if your socks and boots are the same color!
Browse Our Collection of Fun Crew Socks
maintaining your boots and socks
Most socks and boots, regardless of their style or materials, will be fairly easy to wash and maintain — the trick is making sure you actually do it! Simply washing your boots with a brush, and throwing your socks into the wash regularly, is all it takes to keep you stepping in clean style.
what look will you create?
The socks you choose to pair with your boots will help you achieve the exact look and function you’re after. With thousands of different pairings to consider, this is just one more way to use your style to express your big personality.